Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Input power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amr Wael

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have been always a noob in RF/Microwave. When reading a datasheet for an attenuator/amplifier. There is always a rating for the maximum input power in dBm. I understand that power in watts = 10^((Pdbm-30)/10) but if I want to calculate the maximum voltage based on this power is it calculated based on the 50 ohm impedance?
Does this mean that a maximum input power of 10 dBm is equivalent to 0.707 Volts only?
Thank you very much in advance!

Yes 0.5Vrms
No, 0.707 Vrms. The power is referred to the RMS voltage value. If you want, instead, the peak you have to multiply by sqrt(2), that is:
10 dBm (10 mW) ==> 0.707 Vrms ==> 1 Vpeak

power is referred to the RMS voltage

Further that might help:

\[ P ={10}^{\frac{P_{\mathrm{dBm}}}{10}} \cdot {10}^{-3} ~\mathrm{W}\]

\[P = \frac{{V_{\mathrm{RMS}}}^{2 }}{50 ~\Omega}\]

\[V_{\mathrm{RMS}} = \sqrt{P \cdot 50 ~\Omega}\]

BR

Hi,

So
0 dBm = 1 mW
10 dBm = 10 mW
20 dBm = 100 mW
30 dBm = 1000 mW = 1W
-10 dBm = 0.1 mW
-20 dBm = 0.01 mW
10 dBm = 10mW on 50 Ohms system.

P = U x U / R --> U = sqrt(P x R) = sqrt(10 mW x 50 Ohms) = sqrt(500 m) V RMS = sqrt(0.5) V RMS = 0.707 V RMS

On a clean sinusoidal waveform: 1 V amplitude, 1 V peak, +/- 1V peak = 2V peak to peak

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back