Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rf analog to digital converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwanthh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what adc to use for converting rf analog signals to digital upto 2ghz...

Texas instruments' ADS5400 provides 1 giga sample per second with 12 bit resolution atmel TS83102G0B , AT84AS004 provides 2 giga sample per second with 10 bit resolution. I have not heard an adc that provides 4 giga sample per second if you think direct RF down conversion for 2 GHz signal.

Sir,

But my requirement is for upto 2ghz, So can i use either atmel TS83102G0B or AT84AS004?

If you think direct RF conversion you can not use it because you should supply sampling rate that is theoretically 2 times of the highest frequency of your signal. But this is theoretically ideal rate. Since our world is not ideal this rate gets a bit higher. For example speech signals are sampled 8 KHz while the highest frequency of speech signal is 3.4 KHz. I guess using 2 giga sample per second ADCs you can direct downconversion RF signals up to 800 MHz. But instead of it you can design a mixer for demodulating RF signal and you can process message signal using ADCs that has lower sampling rate and higher resolution.

Regards,
ALPER USLU

Sir,

Thank you, for your quick reply, i understood the concept, i need a doubt to be clarified,

1. Considering the Sampling frequency, it should be taken twice that of the highest frequency, but in one website it was given that the sampling frequency should be the twice of bandwith used.
Is it , Fs=2*highest frequency or Fs= 2*Bandwidth

2. In my project, i am going to send the gsm frequencies of ranges 890Mhz-960Mhz and 1710Mhz-1960Mhz . So in my case how should i calculate the sampling frequency?

3. How to calculate the sampled points ie. 201,202,203 in the x axis ?

Please help....

Status
Not open for further replies.