Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF/Analog Layout Course - your opinion plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahmednc0

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
analogue rf layout

Hi all,

I am currently developing a comprehensive RF/mixed signal layout course, mainly targeting either entry level layout engineers or people who could use a refresher course. I would love to get some feedback from you - do you think this would be useful, what contents would you like to see in such a course?

Very briefly, for the last 6 years, I have been doing mainly RF layout (some digital too) and for 4 years before that I did place and route and CAD work. My undergrad was in Electrical engineering. I am going back to school full time starting this Fall. And I thought perhaps I could teach a layout course.

So for the contents, here is a very brief outline for a 3 day course:

Day One: Basic device physics - PN junction, MOS cap, MOS devices
Basic Fabrication steps in a modern CMOS process.
MOS device cross section, basic operation of MOS
Passive circuit elements, ohm's law, calculating resistance, cap etc.
Current carrying capability calculation, IR drop estimate etc.

Day two, and three:
Layout of active and passive circuit elements.
Schematic issues.
RF/Analog Layout issues (Matching, electromigration etc)
Matching techniques for MOS, Cap, Resistors.
Noise reduction in layout
Good layout practices
Verification tips.
Parasitic extraction
Digital place and route concepts.
Intro to perl scripting (if time permits)
Tapeout issues.

I really do like layout - even though we all know how frustrating it can get during tapeout. But I am going back to school full time to pursue my life long dream. I am interested to teach this layout course to earn a decent living - not to be rich or anything. So, my fees would be much lower than comparable layout training courses.

I would appreciate any feedback. If you want to give me detail input or like to help me to develop/refine this course, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks and have a pleasant day.

intro to rf circuit elements

I think an additional topic of a particular case study
like layout of LNA which would parctically cover
all your topics would be really appealing to
audiance ..

Raduga

when to apply analog layout

I have some suggestions:
1,you can elaborate the whole process flow and the relevent mask levels in the day 1 fundamental part to help the freshers to understand more clearly.
2,you may add some real layout example at the last day ,such as module like LNA,MIXERs,even a complete system like a tranceiver.

I have some materials may be useful for your development of this lecture.do you want it?
if you find this post helps,plz press the 'help' button

matching concept in analog layout

very nice,

failure mechanisms, matching techniques for resistors,caps, BJTs and MOS (different structures), fabrication steps, Layout basics and layout for one block( like OPAMP or Bandgap reference)

include these topics

thanku

analog layout issues+parasitic bjt

Operational amplifier is the most important circuit for analog ic. it is good to show matching skill for custom layout too.

analog layout route

sahmednc0 said:
Hi all,

I am currently developing a comprehensive RF/mixed signal layout course, mainly targeting either entry level layout engineers or people who could use a refresher course. I would love to get some feedback from you - do you think this would be useful, what contents would you like to see in such a course?

Very briefly, for the last 6 years, I have been doing mainly RF layout (some digital too) and for 4 years before that I did place and route and CAD work. My undergrad was in Electrical engineering. I am going back to school full time starting this Fall. And I thought perhaps I could teach a layout course.

So for the contents, here is a very brief outline for a 3 day course:

Day One: Basic device physics - PN junction, MOS cap, MOS devices
Basic Fabrication steps in a modern CMOS process.
MOS device cross section, basic operation of MOS
Passive circuit elements, ohm's law, calculating resistance, cap etc.
Current carrying capability calculation, IR drop estimate etc.

Day two, and three:
Layout of active and passive circuit elements.
Schematic issues.
RF/Analog Layout issues (Matching, electromigration etc)
Matching techniques for MOS, Cap, Resistors.
Noise reduction in layout
Good layout practices
Verification tips.
Parasitic extraction
Digital place and route concepts.
Intro to perl scripting (if time permits)
Tapeout issues.

I really do like layout - even though we all know how frustrating it can get during tapeout. But I am going back to school full time to pursue my life long dream. I am interested to teach this layout course to earn a decent living - not to be rich or anything. So, my fees would be much lower than comparable layout training courses.

I would appreciate any feedback. If you want to give me detail input or like to help me to develop/refine this course, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks and have a pleasant day.

Hi

Where and when is this course of urs gonna happen??

Regards
Brittoo

layout course

In my opinion, if you're talking about giving some items like:
- Fundamental MOS operation
- OHM's Law,
- Resistance calculation
I might assume that you're preparing a course for a non-technical (non-engineer) guy and, to tell you the truth and from inside the industry for more than nine years, THAT'S WRONG.

Unfortunately the industry is plenty of "Layout Engineers" that actually are just CAD software operators with this kind of 3 days courses done, then, a few weeks you hire them the headaches are yours...

If, as you said, you really do like Layout, please do something in its favor and migrate this course orientation to something more professional and requiere a higher level of "initial knowledge" for doing it.

THANK YOU.

i like the idea of this kind of course but i strongly suggets to include hands on practice for the analog blocks that includes:pll,opamp,lna,comparator,adc or dac..etc.

also that would really be awesome at this market crunch timeif you do this as volunteer help to the new freshers and take help from yr postings and teach here or make a website and post yr courses online with no fees at all....

i think thats a very kind attitude....

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back