Status
Not open for further replies.

tip35

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I had a toroidal transformer with 200VA power and 2x17Vac secondary. I needed a 30Vac secondary so I started to take off a few turns until the voltage of the 2 serial secondaries was at about 30Vac. After making this modification, I needed a 24Vac output, so I started again to reduce the voltage, using the same method, by removing turns, until I have got 24Vac. After this, I put back the wire until I got a 30Vac secondary, as it was initially, but now I also had 24Vac secondary and the 30Vac secondary.
So now, my transformer looks strange, but it works.
Now I want to use it at a power supply which needs 30Vac transformer and one 17V secondary.
The schematic of the transformer looks like this:

And in the reality it looks like this:
the 2 red wires on the left are for the primary (230V) and the 3 red wire and the rest of the wires are the secondaries.

What would be the problems if I will continue to use the transformer as it is ?
I know that there will be a inequality between the windings, but I don't know to what will lead this inequality ?

As long as the total load stays within 200VA, you should be fine.

The problem with your question is that I cannot answer because I do not know the load currents.

For example, you may have problem if you want to connect a 200VA load to the 17V output (there will be lot of IR drop).

I would have cut the wire and made them independent windings so that you shall have more options.

The problem with your question is that I cannot answer because I do not know the load currents.
The maximum load current from the 30Vac secondary will be 3A and from the 17Vac secondary will be about 0.8A.
I will use the power supply to power resistive loads and inductive loads (motors).
On the 17Vac secondary, will be connected 3 x 12V 80mm fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…