Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resources for ARM C++ programming for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsa3d

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to learn ARM CPU C++ programming.
Could you give me some instruction for starting it?
All the documents I foud was talking about programming in assembly.
Other documents were talking about advanced C programming and I dont understand how to use STREAM s ,printf .... in an embedded system.
All I need is a start point for the C++ programming.
I am using ADS 1.2 I think it is suitability.

Thanks

C++ programming for ARM is no different from C++ programming for any other platform. If you need a good C++ reference there are a lot of good books out there, you can download many of them from elektroda. Regarding streams and printf, the problem resides in the libraries, it doesn't have anything to do with the language itself. There are a number of solutions that you can use if you want to use I/O operations from your ARM board, most of them use a serial connection between the ARM board and the PC and some software on both parts. Some examples:

1. The semihosting SWI (from ARM) allows for I/O operations to be emulated using a special SWI instruction.
2. Use the debug comm channels on the JTAG interface of the ARM processor
3. Use the RDP (Remote Debuggin Protocol) from ARM
4. Build your own

You can find more info about these methods on hxxp://www.arm.com.
I wrote an ARM semihosting handler with a bootloader for my ARM board, right now I'm testing it, it seems to work quite well. It allows programs compiled with arm-gcc and NEWLIB to access the console from a simple terminal emulator. I'll post the sources after I do some more testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.