Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resolution of a bit in ADC value based on SAM method

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu.kurapati

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm working with a 10 bit ADC based on successive approximation method,
max & min input voltages are 5v & 0v respectively.

can any one explain about resolution of each bit & how to calculate it..

Hi,

all this you can find in the datasheet. Please read it.

There are many different ADC solutions. Each has it´s own definition... you can find in the datasheet.
There is no general answer.

For many ADCs the folowing is true:

Resolution (V) = V_REF / 2^n.

Where n = the number of bits.

Again: This may be true for your ADC or not, it always depend on ADC and it´s setup/configuration. Read datasheet.

Klaus

Hi,

I read controller data sheet & got how to program number of bits & where to collect
digital value.

But in that datasheet didn't mention any reference voltage(V_Ref), is that V_Ref is equal to
input voltage (Vin) in successive approximation (or) is it different from input voltage.

Vin mentioned as 3.3v - 5v in datasheet.

Hi,

Maybe VRef is eqaul to VCC, maybe not. Usually you can choose which VRef you use.

Give us the datasheet and we can show you where to find the informations.

Klaus

Hi,

Please find link for the controller ADC user manual...

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/xc220...r.pdf?fileId=db3a304316f66ee801177897ffab372c

In that i observed VRef is equal to maximum digital result value is obtained if the analog
input voltage equal to the reference voltage, from that i concluded that max analog input
voltage is equal to reference voltage.

Is it correct, if it wrong please correct my sentence.....

Hi,

datasheets says:
Analog supply voltage range from 3.3 V (minimum) to 5 V (nominal) for VDDPA
Don´t mix "supply voltage" with "analog signal input voltage"

Each digital value in the
available result range (from 0 to 2n-1) represents an input voltage range that is defined
by the reference voltage divided by 2^n...
...An analog input voltage above the reference voltage leads to a saturation of the digital
result at 2n-1..

Reference selection:
Bit field REFSEL defines which reference input is used for the conversion (see
Section 16.2.12.2)
Please note that the smallest granularity 1 LSBn for n bit resolution refers to the selected
reference voltage. The granularity becomes very small if a low reference voltage is
applied, and as a consequence, the resulting TUE increases due to noise effects.
Therefore, it is recommended to avoid small reference voltages.

Reference Input Selection:
This bit field defines the reference source for this channel.
00B The standard reference input VAREF is selected.
01B The alternative reference input CH0 is selected.

My info:
While the allowed analog input voltage range is: 0V...AVDD. (not to destroy the chip)
The decodable analog input voltage range is: 0V...ARef. (for a digital output value of 0x000 to 0x3FF)
You may choose VRef from 0V to VDDPA. To keep errors low you should not use low voltage VRef.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.