Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor value in the IC design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triquent

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
maximum resistor values + ic design

When we design the analog circuit, what is the maximum and minimum resistor we can design usually? how about some Mohm is OK?

well resistor analog ic design

By Mohm, u mean megaohm? That will cost a lot of area. But it is doable.

Depends upon the process. Many of the values are not precise but matching is possible. MΩ may be possible, but may not be a good idea because I think that power dissipation across it may be little bit in high end for IC.

- vats

The maximum and minimum is not determined for all process.

Generally , the selection of value range of resistor is determined by the accuracy , feature of temperature , feature of voltage and the requirement of performance of system. So we trade off the value of resistor and requirement of circuit.

The Mega order resistor is made by the WELL resistor. But the WELL resistor feature is poor. These parameters is referenced the PCM parameter of process.

I think Mohm is not a good way.it cost large area,not accurate.the match of resistors is good ,but the accurate is too bad.

Practically speaking, when the internal resistor reaches more than 100k, it's good to revisit the topology of the circuit, or consider external components.

Unless you're in the academic area, I guess it's ok.

usually memories (4t sram cells) require Megaohm resistors. In analog circuits it is not advisable because it will require large area which is very costly
but in case u require large resistances poly(layer2) resistances are used and they require costly processes(trimming and implant).

No good ideal to creative the Megaohm resistior. But it can be made

I think Mohem may me ok if you do not need the value very precisely.
Generally speaking, you can use MOS as a resistior. You can look for TIA's AGC design for reference.

It can, But it's not a good idea to intergrate a MEG ohm resistor inside the chip.
You can use a very narrow W, very long L NMOS and PMOS pair to do the job.

as much as you can image but the prasitic capacitance.
so you cannot bigger than 10M i think

The value of resistor is based on your affordable area.

Diffused resistor: 10-100 ohms/sq
Ion Implanted resistor: 0.5-2K ohms/sq
Poly Resistor: 30-200 ohms/sq
n-well resistor: 1-10k ohms/sq

for cmos design like RTC circuit need ultra low current for chip ..
use n_well and use "small width" --> I think you only need large
resistor value , not need very accuracy , you can use min width for N-well
res ..

another Hi resistor use mos resistor like XTAL invert shunt Mega Ohms
for gain stage .. usually use mos switch act as Hi value resistor

Mohm resistors are very very rare in most designs. I'm not sure why you want such a big resistor but you obviously have to weigh the other trade offs for having such a big resistor besides the area. My guess is that you want ultra low power. At the end of the day, you can't have everything in a good analog design.

I guess if you require Mohm resistors then you can use switch capacitor implementation which takes lesser area but it is limited to mixed signal ic's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back