Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor question...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benbojangles

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey

I'm attempting to limit the current on a circuit.

I'm using a 9volt/2600mah battery but I am trying to limit the output current to 125ma.

Do I simply use a 10 Ohm resistor in series? Or, is there some other mystical solution to this whole electrical idea?

I appreciate your advice

Kind regards.

Added after 4 hours 18 minutes:

anyone?

The current depends on the load that you will use. Please be more specific about the load.

The 10Ohm resistor wont work.

Benbojangles said:
hey

I'm using a 9volt/2600mah battery but I am trying to limit the output current to 125ma.

Do I simply use a 10 Ohm resistor in series? Or, is there some other mystical solution to this whole electrical idea?

I appreciate your advice

Kind regards.

anyone?

How many watts the load needs ?

You should use an electronic current limiter, else you will lose too much voltage in normal operation.
For instance, to limit the current at 125mA you need 9/0.125=72 ohm.

But if the load normally draws 100mA, then you lose 0.1*72=7.2V, leaving you with 1.8V to do the job.

Resistors are never good when you have to limit the current to a level close to the normal operating point.

Thankyou for your help & advice.

Through all of your fine advice and cohesion, we have been able to work together to solve the problem. May God bless you all & sleep peacefully.

Yours Sincerely.

An electronic fuse may be the mystical solution you asked for, but also a Polyswitch PTC fuse may work. It depends on your specification for normal operation and maximum tolerated short circuit current, both yet unknown.

Benbojangles said:
hey

I appreciate your advice

Kind regards.

anyone?

You did not mention the load and voltage required for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back