Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resister power rating qiestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

obrien135

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I purchased a few 1/4 watt resisters from a well known vendor. Their website stated that they were 1/4 W and the packaging indicated the same when it arrived. But they were small like I am used to seeing as 1/8 watt resisters. Are they making them smaller now? Thew were in the range of Kohms, 10's of Kohms and 100's of Kohms.

George

What are the dimensions? Resistors are smaller than they used to be for the same power rating.

Keith.

About 3/16 long and about 1/8 thick. More rounded than a usual 1/4 W and smaller. I don't have one in front of me to measure it. It is in the amp I built which is at another location. Bear with me and I'll try and find the dimensions on the website of the company I purchased it from.

Resistors are smaller than they used to be for the same power rating.
Yes, it's mainly a matter of different maximum operation temperatures allowed by the manufacturer.

Are they from the same vendor? Some vendors are more conservative than other vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.