Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistance of an inverter from the DC link side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencermun

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to design a power inverter for solar panels. I'm out of school doing this on my own so any help would be appreciated.

It would be 450V going to a boost converter, to a DC link capacitor, and then the inverter, followed by an LCL filter.
The equation for a DC link capacitor, based on the target voltage ripple is:
C=duty/(R*Vripple*f_sw)
Where D is duty, f_sw is switching frequency, Vripple is the ripple (delta Vo/Vo) going into the inverter, and R is the resistance of the load. Well the load in this case is a switching inverter going into an LCL filter going into a 10 ohm load, so it's not intuitive as to what the resistance is.
My question is how do I calculate even a rough idea of what this resistance might be?'
If you need to know my specific design requirements, the output will be 2kVA on a 10 ohm load, target efficiency is 95%. Input is 450V (although could vary from 360V to 540V depending on sunlight) on a 10 Ohm load.
One thing I tried was ohms law: (450V)^2/(2000VA) = ~750 Ohms. I'm not sure if that's right.

It sounds as though this is about how to calculate the value of a smoothing capacitor?

A few uSec charge at several A, then a few uSec discharge at several A?

There is a different formula you might use, which calculates a Farad value, starting with a given timeframe, Amperes, and acceptable ripple V. You need to settle on a prospective value for all three variables, to find a Farad value.

Expect to need a gang of capacitors, in order to spread the Ampere flow going back and forth many times per second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back