Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistance fo the metal decreases as we go higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

manruru

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi..
please give me the answer for this ...
why the resistance decreases as we go for higher order metals??

conduction band is much far from the nucleus and hence the force of attraction and are much more free to move providing lesser resistance to flow of current....

Hello,

The resistivity decreases and the width increases as we go to higher metals and this results in the decrease of the resistance. To support my statement, herez the formula:
R=Rs(L/W)
R --- Resistance
Rs --- Resistivity
L --- Length of the Resistor
W --- Width of the Resistor

If you take into account the parasitic resistance then too the spacing between these metals is high so resistance is low.

Paramjyothi

Paramjyothi said:
Hello,

The resistivity decreases and the width increases as we go to higher metals and this results in the decrease of the resistance. To support my statement, herez the formula:
R=Rs(L/W)
R --- Resistance
Rs --- Resistivity
L --- Length of the Resistor
W --- Width of the Resistor

If you take into account the parasitic resistance then too the spacing between these metals is high so resistance is low.

Paramjyothi

how are bringing in width factor here... higher metals can be made into widths of wires made of lower metal.... please explain....
what parasitic resistance are you talking about... can u explain that pls???

Hello,

Sorry there has been a mistake in my reply:

W = Width of Metal
L= Length of Metal
Rs= Resistivity of the Metal
R= Resitance of Metal.

If you consider layout or PNR point of view length & width of metal plays an important role for calculating the resistance of metals or estimating the timing of a particular path(for PNR issues). Same way for parasitic calculations too.

Paramjyothi

normal higher metal built with diffrerent material which is the sheet resistance lower

The explanation is simple - usually M1 is the thinnest, M2-Mtop-1 are thicker and top metal is the thickest. Also top metal si often a bit different alloy then the other metals (sometimes copper...)

manruru said:
hi..
please give me the answer for this ...
why the resistance decreases as we go for higher order metals??

teh metall thickness increase as we go higher.... and resistivity is low for higher metals.. hence resistance decreases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back