Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Required an OCR (Optical character recognition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm going to start a open source project that require OCR(Optical character recognition) at some point.
how can I get it and use it. or I should wright my own.

As a start, look for the free programs FreeOCR and SimpleOCR on the internet.

The software CD that comes with a scanner often includes an OCR program.

OCR can be tricky to get it to work. Your image has to be at sufficiently detailed resolution so characters can be recognized.

but how can I embedded that allegro them in my c code?
or they have any apis.

There are open source programmer communities online. One is connected with the name "GNU". Another is 'FOSS". Another is FSF. They have free libraries of code that you might look over.

If you want to write your own OCR routine...

You'll start at the top of the source image. Extract a rectangle, looking for a printed character within the rectangle.

Your routine must be flexible enough to try different sizes of rectangles until it finds the size of the printed text.

You must extract one complete character.

Then you compare it, bit by bit, with images of ASCII characters in memory. This is a task for fuzzy logic.

You either find an exact match, or you guess at the closest match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back