Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reqd help in AM/FM radio digital tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bappa_banga

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radio digital tuning

I want to tune an AM/FM radio from a pc. i am going to use the usb port and have a microcontroller in my device. Can I digitally tune my AM/FM radio from software controll via the microcontroler without using a DAC ?
thanks
Bappa

microcontroller radio am/fm

Technically speaking it can be done but depends on the Radio. If you are designing the radio yourself it is possible. You may not be able to do to the standard receivers

fm tuner using tea5711

many years ago there was a consumer product like this. It was specifically designed for the computer. There have been several expensive short wave radios from companies like ICOM that had rs232 ports.

Your best bet is to use opto isolators across the front panel push buttons and trigger them from the computer.

I am designing the radio myself . using AM/FM receiver ic TEA5711 from philips , but i am stuck with the tuner portion as I want to control it from the pc through the USB port , see the application diagram in the philips datasheet

The TEA5711 is absolutely not suitable for remote tuning from a pc.
It is intended for analogue tuning... further the design is old...
You could in theory tune if you make via USB port a variable DC tuning voltage .....but this is rediculous to me.
Why not use TEA5757 or their successors TEA5776 or 5768 which can be tuned via I2C.
They are PLL/FLL based and are intended for digital tuning.

8) rgds

If your tuning is analog, how about PWM? Some microcontroller support PWM port. Even if they don't it is not so difficult to build one. With the addtion of some capcitor you may eliminate the DAC.

regards.

Hi Guy's!
TEA5711 is fine for digital tunning! Just use PWM and comparator for S-charecteristic.

ok

DO NOT POST NON-SENSE MESSAGES

kot_b said:
Hi Guy's!
TEA5711 is fine for digital tunning! Just use PWM and comparator for S-charecteristic.

but how to put it into an application? I want a proper circuit

From where I can get details of TEA5776 ?
To which company i have to contact for Order ? Any mail etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back