Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

req: schematic for flash-based PICStart Plus programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
picstart plus pinout

Hi friend. I want to comment PSP_FLASH.zip When I decompres it the hex file is biger than size of internal flash memory.
All replies are welcome.

Regards

schematic of picstart plus

Every binary byte of ROM image in hex file assembled from two ASCII plus ascii represantation of address fieldes and checksum fieldes in every string.

picstart replace flash with original

Ok, but how can I put this hex file in PIC 372Kb to 128Kb internal flash?
I also want to beg Nogueira to check again pin43 of PIC18F6720. Is it realy connected to GND ?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards

picstart plus v4

PICUser,

if you check that .hex file that's a full program memory dump in hex format.
It means it contains the program which is X bytes
long, and fills the unused 128k - X bytes space with
0xFFs.
And as 2kostya2 said it's 128k can be multiplied by
approx 3 for each byte becauseof checksum, address prefix etc.

for RB5 (pin 43):

in hex file CONFIG 4 register set to the following:
0x0080
bit 2 (LVP enable bit) is not set (0 = Low voltage ICSP disabled)
therefore LVP is not enabled.

datasheet says:
"While in Low Voltage ICSP mode, the
RB5 pin can no longer be used as a general
purpose I/O pin, and should be held
low during normal operation."

We are not using LVP, but it may can be connected to the ground.
(at least i think :)

please tell me if iam wrong...

Can someone please organize a .zip from this nice
work on PicStart Plus & Upgrade Module?

regards,
Zed

picstart pum

RB5 should be help low during programming.
The HEX file is read from a 18F6720 and exported from MPLAB

picstart plus schemayic

the PIN 19 AVDD on the pic 18F6720.

I think, is conected this a VDD?

AVSS is conected a VSS.

:wink:

build programmer picstart plus

Download (Update) it via MPLAB-IDE (6.40 or higher).

old picstart plus

So...just out of curiousity (o;

How many have built this selfmade flash-upgrade successfully?

Thinking of making a PADS layout for selfcontained flash programmer...

picstart pum circuit

CONFIGURATION BITS in the PIC18F6720, I do not know it ?

:?

18f6720 eagle

nogueira said:
Here is the schematic and the firmware.

Important bug was detected in your scheme.
Pin AVDD should be connected to VDD. In other case the initial loading of firmware into PIC18 is failed.

elnec schematics programmer pdf socket adapter

Has anyone build this module using informations on this topic? I'm asking because i find that .hex file starts from 0x1000 without initialisation part at the begining of memory map?
If this hex file is from microchip's web or if it was read from original PIC18F6720 than this is not complete hex file since in it boot loader, start up and initialization code are missing !!!
Also i'm unable to read this hex file from MPLAB (File->Import)!

16f682a

I made the upgrade board according to the PicStart_upg.pdf and connected pin 19 of the 18F6720 to +5v which the schematic did not show. I programmed the board using the Picstart + and it worked fine. I tried the programmer with the upgrade board, updated the os throgh MPLAB update, erased, read and programmed 16F682A, 16F84, 17C44, a 16F871 and everything worked great. Attached is a layout made with Proteus 6.3 . You may need to create a via under circular pads with the information: name VIA, Diameter 30th, Drill Mark 5th, Drill Hole 10th, Gaurd Gap 10th. Also attached are some pictures. In the top.jpg arrows show what pins need to be soldered to the ground plane and in cut.jpg show where you need to cut the plastic post to fit the new board. The board was made by printing on color laser paper which gets iron to the copper clad board, soaked in water to remove the paper, then etched with sodium persulfate. The parts were soldered by hand which can be difficult. To solder the 18F6720 I put liquid flux on the chip then soldered it. To remove the solder shorts I used solderwick then scraped in between the pins with a razor blade to ensure the were no shorts. Thanks to those who uploaded the schematic and hex files, hope the layout helps.

bootloader for 18f6720

Hi Johnnyquest,
Can you please explain in more details your printing method and making of PCB, since it looks very simple method and gives good results?
Regards,
Sime

how to i upgrade my old picstart plus for flash

Printing methods.
Look:
Instruction: **broken link removed**

logon-plus chematic

I have a PICSTART PLUS with the good old 17C44 chip in it. It contains the last firmware version compatible with the 17C44 chip. Now my question is, can i make the board with the 18F6720 chip and load the latest firware into it using the old programmer ???

Is there any other programmer with free schematics and hex file which i can build (using my old PICSTART PLUS) and which can support the 18F6720 and 18F8720 chips ???

shematic picstartplus

I there some one there can tell me the config bits how they must be set.

I am testing a pum schmatic , and I have made a litle board i Eagle 4.11.

picstart plus firmware v3.11

Hi,
I have the schematic and PCB files

MYDIY

picstart plus boot loader

Hi there!

Don't know why, but only MPLAB 6.XX is able to import the pspls43004.hex file and PicStart+ v3.11 (17C44) can burn the PIC18F6720 & 8720.

I think the config bits are:
Oscillator: HS, WAtchdog Timer: Disable, watchdog Postscaler: 1:128, Power Up timer: Disable, Brown Out Detect: Disable, Brown Out Voltage: 2.0V, LVP: Disable, Background Debug: Disable, Osc. Switch Enable: Disable, CCP2 Mux: RC1, Stack Overflow Reset: Disable, and no protect for code, table write or read.

I would thank to MYDIY if he could upload the schematic and most important the PCB files... preferencialy in Eagle format ;)

picstart plus programmer +.hex

Here is working single sided project for PicStart upgrade,
done in Eagle v4.11.

picstart cpu upgrade

Thanks to whoknows for the files, but it seems to have some errors. I'm working on a new PCB based on whoknows schematics. My PCB it's double sided but it can be done in single side board, as it needs a small number of short jumpers. The pads for the PIC17C44 connector are offseted so it will be more easy to weld without having metal through holes.
Soon i get it working, i post the files for download.

Status
Not open for further replies.