Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Req: Information about Li-Ion accu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cube007

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm looking for information about Li-Ion accus. For example, is it possible (good) to switch the cells parallel to increase the capacity?

by,
cube007

As I know, battery pack use parallel cells to increase the capacity, but you must be carefull.
Li-ion batteries have a very high energy capacity and low series resistance, so if you short 2 batteries together it could be dangerous.

Battery pack use almost identical cells and some protection: a diode in parallel to avoid voltage inversion, a series PTC to limit the maximum current (and sometimes a lo-esr capacitor in parallel to the cells).
When there are also cells in series (7.2V, etc...) a circuit is necessary to equilibrate the charging voltage and to avoiding the voltage across every cell goes above a maximum of 4.1 or 4.2V (depending to the chemistry).

If you have to parallel them, put the cells at the same voltage (with a resistance for a quite long time) and then join them.
Charging the batteries is not a huge problem, because the li-ion cells limit the current automatically at the end of charge (constant voltage charging).

A few warnings: limit the maximum charging current, do not exceed the maximum charging voltage (4.1 or 4.2V), use identical batteries and remember that the last 20% of capacity is in the last 100mV of charge!

Search in Internet for Li-ion batteries manufacturers and you will find these informations more clear and with images!

Bye

Hello Smanetto,

thank you for the information. I will take a look at the homepages of the "big" manufactures like Sanyo and Panasonic to get more stuff.

by,
cube007

Hi,

careful, it's very very very hard to obtain LiIon batteries from, as you say, "big" manufacturers Sanyo or Panasonic.

I suggest you to buy standard batteries for camera or video recorder.

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back