Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Req Help/Advice with Tek scope repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicklinn

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I am no virgin to replairs but I encountered a problem that is a bit above me and I though I would ask around for help on this problem.

I have a Tek 7934 scope with a bad power supply. I have track the problem down to the component that is causing the problem, which is a power transformer that seems to be having a secondary winding shorting to the primary. Here is the deal. No one really carries the parts that I need on this 20year old scope. Since the ferrite core seems to be in good shape I thought the best course of action would be to re-build the transformer. This is something I have never done before and since while tek offers great schematics info I cannot find any info on the winding of the transformer (which's part number is 120-1183-00 if anyone is interested) other then the input and output voltages, I think I will have to reverse engineer it.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to reverse engineering and remanufacturing transformers that may help me?

Thanks a ton,
Nick

A power transformer with ferrite? Is it a switcher?

I've seen 7934 scope mainframes sell on eBay for less than $50 US. Maybe buy one as a source of spare parts. However it is a big hulk to have sitting around.

Once upon a time, Tek promised a lifetime warranty on their power transformers. Ask them and maybe get lucky.

Here's a group that discusses Tek scopes:
**broken link removed**

nicklinn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I got to admit I don't know a heck of a lot about transformers buy yes it has a square type ferrite ring with one edge having the windings. Paper and glue insulation. If you are interested I can shoot a pic of the device?

Unfortunately the cheapest I can find on the bay is in the $500 ballpark. Though I am not in a rush for it to be working I need it within a month or so in the meantime thought I would try fixing it first.

I wasn't aware of that I will have to look into that at the very least they may have the part I need.

Thanks will post on that board.

Got the repair manual on paper complete with sweat and tear stains ;)

My scope was made around 86 unfortunately.

I looked at those guys but didn't see the part on the site. Will try emailing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.