Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

REQ: Good C file editor under Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitooo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for a good programming environnement, with option like Komodo (but for C programming) or like Source Insight (by the way, which is the Best code file editor IU have ever seen)....

If anyone knows about a good soft like this, I'm very interesting...

Additionnal information, I know about Kdevelopp and other (Visual like soft) but I would like to find a text editor only, and more convivial than Emacs (besides the fact that it is powerfull)

THX in advance for your help and I hope I'm clear enough ;)

Hi, I don't know if you would like nedit. At least I do. A text editor with syntax highlighting, the column block copy/paste function is really nice.

Haven't used komodo at all, I maynot know what you want.

Needle do u know how to make a region in NEDIT [a program in C] and nedit performs automatic indent into this region?

I mean it will re-arrange the spaces so if ihere are smt like:

{
{
aa;
}
}
it will transform it in
{
{
aa
}
}

[i.e. it will move to the right level the corresponding text]?

In emacs there is this function, but I could locate it in NEDIT...

any help would be appreciated...

by the way...I use NEDIT for linux and is really good!

Have a look at the eclipse project w w w.eclipse.org. It supports JAVA by default but there is a C/C++ plugin available on the site and under development. Its open source and runs on microcrap, linux, AIX, Solaris, QNX and HP/UX

C++ plugin here... hxxp://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextools.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/cdt-home/downloads/main.html

Oops... you only looking for a text editor....but you may be interested anyway :wink:

nedit is so powerfull. I use it for my both verilog and C designs. Under windows I know textpad, capable of doing the work very well. and it seems that it's producer is now developing a new version of textpad for linux.

Of course every linux, freebsd and *NIX distro have something that can be used to develop C or whatever programs..

its

cat > file.txt << EOF

(try on ur console and start typing whatever u like. If the first 3 letters of the line are
EOF, the entries will be saved on file.txt)

Although some people say that it doesnt have some characteristics that modern text processors have, some hard-core unix users think that is the best tool made :)

Linux C-Code Editor

Hi,

I think Visual Slick Edit is one of the best C-Code Editors! They have a Version for Windows Unix and Linux.
But it isn't free! But if you need I have a key for all Versions!

Phytex

PS: Havea look at h**p://www.slickedit.com

Hi,

I have been using FTE editor. It is free, text based and runs on DOS, Windows, Linux, some Unix variants and OS/2. It's not the perfect editor but I like it. The source code is also available for download.

h**p://fte.sourceforge.net

i thought linux already has a good complier builtin

i thought all linux already has a good complier builtin

bigbrother said:
Needle do u know how to make a region in NEDIT [a program in C] and nedit performs automatic indent into this region?

I mean it will re-arrange the spaces so if ihere are smt like:

{
{
aa;
}
}
it will transform it in
{
{
aa
}
}

[i.e. it will move to the right level the corresponding text]?

In emacs there is this function, but I could locate it in NEDIT...

any help would be appreciated...

by the way...I use NEDIT for linux and is really good!

-----------
I don't know if NEDIT has this function. I would select that paticular rectangular block, cut and paste by indent, or insert a few columns of space right before the block to be indented. Either way, I only need a few mouse clicks.

During the old days of pc-dos, my favorite C text editor was PE2. It is history now.

For a special reason, I didn't choose the NEDIT as my text editor, but maybe you just can do this by pressing Tab key.
NEDIT is designed as a common text editor, it can't do this thing automatically.
I don't know if there is a plug-in for it can do this.

ngjh said:
I havent used it b4 but JEdit might be of interest to you guys
Download free at http://www.jedit.org

jEdit is very good (especially with the Jalopy plugin, also available for Eclipse)

what's wrong with gvim or vim?

It's very powerfull, has syntax highlighting, ...

Antharax

The V IDE for GNU g++ and Java

Hi

The V IDE for GNU g++ and Java

VIDE is the V Integrated Development Environment for the GNU g++ compiler and the standard Sun Java Development Kit. The current release is Version 1.24 for MS-Windows and Linux (RedHat 6.x, 7.x; Mandrake 8.x; others). Executables for MS-Windows 9x/NT and Linux (glibc) are available

1. h**p://www.objectcentral.com/vide.htm
2. h**p://www.objectcentral.com/downloads.htm
3. h**p://objectcentral.com/main.htm

* -> t

tnx

Hmm, what about using KDevelop included in KDE (debian include it in the install cds, the others linux no idea, but probably also they include it)

Status
Not open for further replies.