Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Representation of IEEE 754 standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecs_gene

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
floating point ALU

hi guys,
i have a serious doubt in representation of ieee 754 standard of represenation i.e. single precision std..assuming that i have a normalized form of representation(leading bit to be 1 always),with the exponent of 8 bits,mantissa of 23 bits,what is the maximum and minimum positive number that could be represented by this standard??how is 0 represented??

with regards

Re: floating point ALU

Maximum no is 2 - 2^23 with exponent 254( with bias)

Minimum no is 2^-126 since all zero exponent is not possible according to IEEE standard

correct me if i am wrong

Re: floating point ALU

hi posotive_edge,
thanks for ur reply.. i have one more doubt regarding the FPU...what should be the exceptions that a FPU must give i.e i know nan,qnan & snan are a must..what others should i signal??and when exactly are qnan & snan signalled??

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back