Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing tubes with mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMHANDLEY

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to All,

Is anyone interested in replacing the RF / IF TUBES in older communications receivers, etcetera, with MOSFETS?

Cheers,

Jim.

Sounds like you want to advertise you business in a very goofy way.

why ???

mosfets arent as good as valves for rf and arent as linear no mater what people say
i agree its a goofy idea best left alone...

yes maybe an audio amp can use them

anyway why a mosfet
i would use a fetlington here

Several decades ago these replacements were for sale. They even had the pinout of the tubes for direct replacement. I do not think that there is a market for them now.

I have said that because the initial post was too general. Why someone would like to know if someone else have a specific need? to sell the solution?

About 40 years ago, I had a tube type car radio in a 1961 Buick that I replaced tubes with JFET's. The tubes operated with 12vdc plate voltage making it real easy. Audio output was a Delco PNP 'doorknob' packaged class 'A' power amp on a big heatsink. After retuning for slight difference in stray capacitance it worked fine. 'Wow' instant on, no more waiting for tubes to warm up.

You need depletion mode FET's to emulate a vacuum tube.

Valve heptode mixers are noisy and suffer from chronic intermodulation, replacing them with FETs would improve any old receiver. I intend to this as a project, but the draw back is that IO bases are hard to find!!
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.