Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace Steam Flow Meter Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

randheerp

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a steam line and i want to quantify the flow of steam on a particular point in steam line. I know, Yes, you can buy a steam flow meter and do it but as you know steam flow meter is very costly. As this is a low budget project, do you know any other alternative methods (low budget) to do the job of a flow meter. Calculating steam flow using other parameters will be also fine (using equations).

Rgds,
Randheer

Temperature itself is not a reliable indicator, unless you can calibrate it against an accurate flow meter. You also need to factor in the ambient room temperature.

How about attaching a thermo-sensor, cooling it to a given temperature, then measuring the time it heats up to a target temperature? The faster it heats, the more steam is flowing.

Or run the steam upward through a vertical glass tube with a styrofoam ball inside, which rises or drops depending on how fast the steam is flowing.

Or install a lightweight hinged flap rather than a styrofoam ball. Greater steam flow will push it open further.

Status
Not open for further replies.