Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Removing motor from cassatte player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurglaren

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! I got a problem with a project going on. I need to remove the motor from a cassette player but still have the signal from the "cassette reader" working. In this case, when I remove the motor from the circuit, the cassette player wont give any signal/sound out.

Therefor, I was wondering if i could somehow replace the motor with something else and still get the signal out?

I hope you understood my question right! I'd appreciate all help I could get!!

/JW

there is so called "auto stop" - when the tape is not moving the casette player stops. You need to put some generator of pulses (555) connected to the sensors to fake the tape movement.

I was wondering if i could somehow replace the motor with something else and still get the signal out?

Normally cheap casette player electronics dont check is there motor or not.

So your player works normally , except tape dont move.

If you now some way can move tape through tapehead you hear the voice.

Tape speed is very accurate if you want sound like original,
too slow speed so frequency go down and vice versa.

Regards KAK

Ps. If tape moves electronic auto-stop dont do eject function
Cheaper ones has mechanical auto-stop when tape tension goes higher than normal

Last edited:

hmm ok I see. The thing is, for my project, every part of the cassette player is needed except the motor. Maybe I could just let the motor be connected to the circuit but it would be nice to get rid of it because of all the space it takes and the sound it makes (I also think the motor affecting the output a little bit with a low noise in the background but that's just a thought I had)

i think there has a mechanial switch in mechanisam for the on / off check it

Seems like the majority of cassette players shut off automatically when they detect no tape movement.

However look for a pause button. It stops tape movement while disabling the auto shutoff. Often it's used when recording so you can check levels.

In playback mode you may find the playback amplifier remains active when you pause it.

Where should I find the on/off button, or pause button? on the circuit? When I looked on it I couldn't find any(?). Maybe I'll put up a picture of it

please upload its photo it may simple to help others

So, this is how it looks like. Just tell if you need more pictures
39_1306341777.jpg

Where should I find the on/off button, or pause button?

The PAUSE button or key should be among the PLAY/STOP/REC/FF/REW keys.
If it's not then I guess they've been phased out.

I have one old cassette recorder where the PAUSE is a slider switch.

This cassette player doesnt have a pause button. Isn't there a way to make a circuit bend or something to make the motor stop and still get the normal output?

I've worked inside several cassette recorders. Often because the drive belt was broke.

The end-of-tape shutoff is designed to activate when there's no tape movement. During normal play I can see a mechanism moving back and forth once a second among the wheels. If the tape stops, or the wheels stop, that mechanism detects it and shuts everything off.

I've never figured out how the shutoff mechanism works. It's not easy to see what's going on between all the moving parts.

As stated by luben (post #2), it may involve a pulse being sent every so often.

Either you'll have to keep that detection mechanism moving back and forth, or you'll have to get into the circuitry and hook up a custom pulse generator.

If you can get a hold of a vintage recorder, they have an auto-shutoff that is easily fooled. It was activated by tape tension near the playback head. The mechanism easily got out of adjustment. Then it might never shut off. The motor could run forever. Or the capstan could rub right through the tape. Or the tape could wrap itself up into spaghetti.

Hi,GURGLAREN as per the picture you have posted. I think supply for the motor is given from the main power supply section through the lip switch,the lip switch will be on the mechanism of cassette player.Hence whenever play, forward, reverse buttons are pressed lip switch gets pressed to make contact and when nothing is pressed motor doesn't gets supply so no action.
Some time the whole circuit is connected through the lip switch and circiut and motor both get the voltage when lip switch is pressed.
There is one more thing auto stop , when there is no tape left on the reel then a tension appears on the tape because of which auto stop mechanism gets activated and the mechanism comes to stop.
Now for your project you can short the lip switch which will be either on the front or back side of mechanism.Now you can use it and there is no need to connect the motor as you don't need it.
Hope this will help you bye.....

Wierd, I thought I tried that but now it worked! Thanks to all of you who have written on this thread! I appreciated all your input!

/JW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back