Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote sensors : clamping diodes and input filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickagian

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a data-logger I am designing right now the sensors will be placed some 3 meters away from the central unit. I'll have an RTD PT1000, a capacitive humidity sensor, a digital pressure sensor and two strain gauges.

I have two questions on this configuration, regarding two topics that I'm not very familiar in :

1) Do I need any clamping diodes at the connection point of the sensors to the PCB?
2) Any filtering before the amplification stage? I'm mostly concerned on EMI (both inductive and conductive). Are filters really necessary? For example the NFM21C or the BLM series of Murata.

Nick

You might prefer to put signal-conditioning circuitry at
the remote end, if it can stand the environment. At least
enough to get the signal to full span before traversing the
long wire, so as to maximize SNR (minimize effect of
incident EMI).

You might prefer to put signal-conditioning circuitry at
the remote end, if it can stand the environment. At least
enough to get the signal to full span before traversing the
long wire, so as to maximize SNR (minimize effect of
incident EMI).

I agree that this would be the best idea, but unfortunately it can't be done. There is no space for putting signal conditioning circuitry at the remote end. I can only afford the sensors themselves. The signal conditioning electronics have to be put at the data-logger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back