Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote controller IR diode test

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWhoF

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I test the IR diode or the whole remote controller without an oscilloscope or any major test instrument?
I just want to know whether it generates IR.

Take an IR-filtered Pin Diode or Photoresistor and a Voltmeter (than such instruments must you apply...
K.

Two methods come to mind:

1. Chemically treated paper strips are available which glow orange in IR light. They are used in the TV repair business to check IR remotes are sending. They can't tell you what the data is but the glow lets you know that IR is being emitted.

2. If you have an IR receiver module, maybe from a scrapped TV or VCR, the type isn't important. Connect power to it and feed its output pin to a high impedance loudspeaker or to headphones. Again, you can't tell the data but the carrier bursts will sound like a rasping noise when a remote is 'shone' at it.

Brian.

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This test you can be performed using your mobile phone camera or any digital camera with an LCD screen:

- Place remote controller in front of a camers (or mobile phone camera) ..
- Press aany button ..

If IR diode emits IR you will see white/gray dot ..

That's it ..

DrWhoF

DrWhoF said:
How can I test the IR diode or the whole remote controller without an oscilloscope or any major test instrument?
I just want to know whether it generates IR.
If you just want to know wether the Remote handset transmits IR or not, you may use this simple circuit which works directly on the mains supply.
**broken link removed**
OR
The simplest thing is to point your Mobile with camera to the remotes IR led to see it glowing when any button is pressed.
Cheers

pranam77 said:
If you just want to know wether the Remote handset transmits IR or not, you may use this simple circuit which works directly on the mains supply.
**broken link removed**

I'm not sure how do you fill about mains voltages in such simple application, but I can tell you one thing: it is bloody dangerous ..
If you want to construct this circuit replace the H-voltage connection with a 9V battery, or any L-voltage power supply ..

Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

IanP said:
I'm not sure how do you fill about mains voltages in such simple application, but I can tell you one thing: it is bloody dangerous ..
If you want to construct this circuit replace the H-voltage connection with a 9V battery, or any L-voltage power supply ..Rgds, IanP
Yes for an average hobbyist, i would recomend the same. But the said circuit is sold, enclosed in a cute plastic cabinet in every component vendor shop for the benefit of TV and other technicians. For Simple DC operated circuit, one may prefer the cicruit given below...Cheers

DrWhoF

Status
Not open for further replies.