Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relay MOSFET short circuit protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i am a bit confused on short circuit protection, i don't know how to do this, i have to use relay or MOSFET, i don't know how this circuit will work and, which is the best,

best regards

you have to tell more about your intended application and the circuit diagram be shown.
then any suggestion from members can come.

just want to have a general idea about the difference between MOSFET and relay,

a mosfet can act like a relay.(switch--on/off)
relay has more time delay than mosfet.
but relay can switch higher current than mosfet , with less cost.

you require appropriate circuitry for mosfet to switch.

there are many more... but these are few .

what is your intended application ?

MOSFET's suffer from field effect(I don't think this is the right term), the capacitance of your skin could activate the circuit when you touch it.

i will use this protection in a car, for example if light are short circuit then the supply voltage should protect the circuit

If this is only for over current protection during short and temp requirement is less than 85C then you can search for a ressetable fuse, else use a P-type FET with gate to be controlled by some over current protection circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.