Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay demagnetization

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR350SE

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My question is ,
the relaise voltage of a DC-relay is +/- 10 % of the nominal voltage .
example : Unom.=12V >>>>Urelaise=1.5V(relay contact goes open)

Temperature influence +/- 30%

But what is the influence on long term (after years) of the relaise voltage ?
(demagnetiszation of the relay)

DR350SE,
Ordinary armature style relays do not use permanent magnets, so de-magnetization over time is not an issue. Armature relays use magnetic materials with low coercivity and remanence so that they will not become permanently magnetized under the influence of a magnetic field. It is possible that the core could become permanently magnetized to a small degree after repeated use. In this case, the release voltage would decrease over time, since there would be a residual magnetic field present after the excitation voltage is removed. I have never seen any manufactur data on this phenomenon. I believe that this effect would be very small, since manufacturers deliberately use magnetic materials with very loww remanence and coercivity.
Reed relays do use permanent magnets, so it is possible that, over time, the coercivity and remanence of the permanent magnet could decrease. I have never seen any manufacturer data on this phenomenon.
Regards,
Kral

Kral , thank you .

(I've also asked this to a relay manufacturer and they also told me that the Unom may only decrease to 1/2 Unom for normal operation )

Status
Not open for further replies.