Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Relay controlled by PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ororo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody.
I am a programmer, and I am quite newbie with electronics.
I would like to control a number of relays from a PC (or tablet), i.e. switch on or off the relays using some software.
Each element (relays and PC) is far from each other, say they are in different rooms, so I need some kind of wireless or radio connecting them (infrared is not good, I suppose).

My question is: what is the best hardware configuration for the purpose?

For wireless communication, you need either blutooth or GSM/GPRS or some custom made RF circuit (by yourself). Once of these wireless technology with controlling 8-bit microcontroller like a small 8-pin PIC12F is enough for the application. Using bluetooth, you can communicate through PC or mobile bluetooth app. By using GSM/GPRS, you can send SMS or use GPRS to communicate with relay controllers and send commands. There are some cheap bluetooth module like PAN1321 or GSM modules like SIM300 or TR900 etc.

Hope that helps.

Thank you ashugtiwari!
I need to understand a little better.
Let's say I choose a bluetooth-based solution. How are you thinking to connect devices? one 8-bit microcontroller for each relay, plus one PAN1321 for each relay, all connected to PC via bluetooth?

Then, let's say I choose a "custom made RF circuit" (of course I'm afraid I won't be able to do this ;). How could I connect such circuit to a PC?

At last, you did not mention any IP-based solution (i.e. wifi), is it worse?

Thank you again!

Whether you are using RF or bluetooth or any wireless module, the basic goes like this.
You will need a microcontroller and a wireless transmitter connected to your PC; one receptor and a microcontroller for each relay.
The easiest option i would say is you can buy readily available RF transmitters and receivers and use them. Probably you can use encoder/decoder and can avoid the use of microcontrollers at the receptor side.

Reactions: ororo

ororo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back