Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relationship between VCSEL bias current and output power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamis288

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am simulating a simple example for transferring data using optical components. please see the "image1" on the attachment. this is my main circuit. when I increased the bias current of VCSEL in "image2" from 5mA to 60mA , output power ended up to zero and oscilloscope does not shows anything( because of zero power). I do not know why, the output power diminished to zero by increasing the bias current?

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image3.png
    image3.png
    446.2 KB · Views: 103

Solution
Hi,
I am simulating a simple example for transferring data using optical components. please see the "image1" on the attachment. this is my main circuit. when I increased the bias current of VCSEL in "image2" from 5mA to 60mA , output power ended up to zero and oscilloscope does not shows anything( because of zero power). I do not know why, the output power diminished to zero by increasing the bias current?
in theory, increasing bias current always increase the output power. but as you know in real life, helpless VCSEL can not tolerate such high current and the output power. VCSEL will be going to be ruined. anyway, to simulate the VCSEL you must open the VCSEL laser property by double-clicking on the VCSEL object. after that, go...
Hi,
in theory, increasing bias current always increase the output power. but as you know in real life, helpless VCSEL can not tolerate such high current and the output power. VCSEL will be going to be ruined. anyway, to simulate the VCSEL you must open the VCSEL laser property by double-clicking on the VCSEL object. after that, go to the "physical" tab and uncheck "thermal effect" to ignore the thermal effect. moreover, go to the "numerical" tab and uncheck "adaptive step".
CONGRATULATION!!
you can see the result successfully.

Solution
There's a bias current needed to keep it properly lit
(lasing threshold current) at the low end. At / below,
the beam may be incoherent.

Upward from there, efficiency climbs for a while so
power per watt climbs along with power.

Then series resistance and maybe some other inefficiencies
will roll on at higher currents, rolling d(output)/d(watt) down.
Power still climbs, less and less efficiently.

And then you fuse a bond wire and it's over. Though that
ought to take well more than 60mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back