Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relation between BER and Outage probability

Status
Not open for further replies.

preetica

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on relay selection. I am trying to understand the relationship between BER and Outage probability.

Outage probability is related to the channel capacity which returns to the channel model assumed of course, differing from each relay to another makes a relay can contribute in cooperation or not which is mainly based on its Outage probability or in other terms outage "Capacity" which is limited by Signal To Noise ratio through famous shannon law (C = B.W*log(1+SNR))

So from here you get the relation between C and BER where normally as SNR increases as BER decreases and as Capacity of channel increases so the Relay could cooperate and that returns to the limit you define in your system design level.

Thank you. Shannon law appears to show the relationship between C (capacity), BW (bandwidth) and SNR. Can you, therefore, provide me further guidance on how BER is related to outage probability?

Do you mean Rayleigh fading?

preetica,
The Outage probability means the percintage of time that you have the minimum received power ( or SNR ) for your design , which is decided from your BER. so both BER and Outage probability have some kind of connection to the received power .
- The Outage probability: calculated from the distribution of the received power in a channel (eg Rayleigh )
- where the BER : the probability of error for that received power .
I hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.