Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regulator with double feedback: pole/zero issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

geozog86

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

The attached is a loop of a regulator (I drew an extra stage as a square at the output).
There is an extra loop from the Cc capacitor.
I have to admit I have zero theoretical knowledge on how to analyze a circuit with two feedback loops.
Let's also assume that I cannot change the topology and/or remove Cc or something.

Loop stability simulation results are shown below it.
Strange observation 1: with increased Cc instead of getting a pole splitting effect and getting the dominant pole in lower frequencies, I get it in higher.
Strange observation 2: If I choose low enough Cc I get the effect of a second pole first, that then is cancelled by a zero, so I may look stable at UGBW point, but I get the dip you can see.

Questions:
1)on observation 1: How is that explained? Anyone has any idea?
2)on observation 2: If over corners the dip is "higher" than when I calculate my phase margin, am I safe? Or are such dips a huge risk and I should eliminate it to begin with?

Thanks for the help. Any expert on this giving an opinion, would be highly appreciated!

photo.JPG

Without knowledge about impedance of each node and used compensation technique it is hard to answer.

Is an error amplifier single/two stage one? What is it output impedance (high, low)?
What is this extra stage? Is it a simple buffer? What kind of freq. compensation You have?

If You want to understand this circuit frequency behaviour, You should break the main loop (between output and input of error amplifier) and calculate small signal transmittance of it.

The feedback capacitor is connected to which node of the amplifier?
What is inside the "black box"?

Status
Not open for further replies.