Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding Heat Management of ARM CPU Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakibnaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there.

I am working on a project which will be essentially a commercial product. Its an Li-Po 3.7V 5000mAH Battery Powered IoT Wireless Device consist of an ARM CPU Module and some other necessary circuits (Like Power Regulator, Battery charging, USB, LCD etc).

Below is the ARM CPU Module I like to use:

Now due to some Connector placement requirement I had to place the CPU Module at Bottom Side of the PCB and underneath it the Li-Po Battery will be there. So Basically the Parts stack will be like this inside the Plastic Enclosure.

1598988155991.png

I found the CPU Module generates heat when operating. I can not say what amount of heat it generates but if I slight touch the Processor Chip with finger tip ... its very very hot.

My ques is ... is it good idea to place the Parts like the picture above? Here I am afraid about the heat heat dissipation. Any idea in this regard? Please note I can not use too bulky Heat-Sink as my device need to be compact in size. May be I can allow 2mm gap between battery and CPU Module. Is there any kind of thin material which I can put between Battery and CPU which can help here? Also is there any risk if the Li-Po gets hot due to heat of CPU?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,
I can not say what amount of heat it generates
Simply calculate with: P = V x I. It's a good starting point.
You need values with units ... then you can do the calculations...

its very very hot.
Hot, very hot, very very hot ....... why not use a thermometer and we don't need to guess what it means? Values with units....

is it good idea to place the Parts like the picture above?
The heat in a box is the heat in a box .... it does not matter much how you arrange it.
But you need to avoid hot spots. You don't need a heat sink, you maybe need a heat spreader. A sheet of copper may be sufficient.
A gap inside a box is not what you need, it is no(t much) benefit.

If the temperature in the box is too high, then you need to tranport more heat to the outside. Metal box, holes, peltier...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.