Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksully

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using an solenoid to connect a my PIC32MX795f512 chip for controlling. My application is that the solenoid whcih i am using should be used to hold an mechanical control Open/Close Door,

Ini normal condition the solenoid should be deenergized holding the door, in energized condition the solenoid should be pulled down, making the door to open...

My question is that can i able to control the solenoid directly with the help of GPIO pin.output...Or is there any special chip is required for controlling..

solenoids would typically need some kind of a driver-/buffer-circuit as there is no way a uC pin will provide enough power (either current or voltage). typical solenoids i've seen, need a min 12VDC, and way more current provided by uC GPIO (typ 500ma).

ps> plz wait for gurus here to answer, as my knowledge is very limited to simple hobby electronics, but i think i'm not grossly incorrect

jayachar88 is correct that you need some suitable buffer to interface the controller with the relay.
Without knowing the coil specification, no one will be able to give you a full answer, so please advise the coil's resistance and operating voltage. However, it is unlikely that you will need "any special chip", a simple transistor should be fine (with base current limiting resistor and back-EMF capturing diode).

You could use something like a uln2004 driver chip to operate a relay which in turn switches power to the solenoid coil.
Look at the data sheet for the uln, I seem to remember theres a section about relay driving.
If the application is critical safety wise, you might want to put a small amount of power through the solenoid coil and feed it back to the micro, so that the processor can measure the continuity of the cicruit and monitor the coil and the wiring, raising an alarm if there is a fault.

Below Mentioned are the specs of the soleniod
Size will be range 10.2 X 8 X 16 mm .
Our Application is : PIC microcontroller connected to a transistor and thro that we have connected this soleniod....
Working Senarios :
Max Current Consumption @25% duty cycle with 6V shall be 0.87 Amps and at 100% duty cycle and 3 Volts, the current
drawn shall be 0.43 Amps. this will offer a return spring as well.
Max stroke is 5 mm and recommended to use upto 2.5 mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…