Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

refractive index less than air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry797

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
Can any dielectric material (not meta-material or left-hand materials) have refractive index between 0 and 1 or in other words less than air? And also what should be the standard range of extinction coefficient (k), if known, if I want to extract k for most general materials like teflon, glass or most common dielectrics. Lets say if I run a loop for k from 0.00001, with step 0.00001, to 1, this should cover all the possible values of k, while solving complex equations. I assume k cannot be greater than 1 from my experience.
Any expert who could answer from experience?
Many Thanks
Henry797

Materials can have anomolous properties around their resonances. I am not sure there is a standard range for k, but there are a some resources for looking up the material properties. For material databases, look under "Useful Links" here:

**broken link removed**

For a discussion about material resonances and anomolous properties, check out Lecture 2 here:

**broken link removed**

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back