Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Reflection Coefficient of Cascaded Transmission Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobos3

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a series of 5 transmission lines connected in series. I was wondering how best to analyse the circuit. I am not entirely sure how to calculate the reflection coefficient of the TL. Consider the following:
o-----o-----o-----o
\[Z1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,Z1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,Z2\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\] | 50 Ohms
o-----o-----o-----o

If I start working from the load, is the reflection coefficient just:
\[\frac{Z_m - Z_{m-1}}{Z_m + Z_{m-1}}\]
where $Z_m$ is the characteristic impedance of the TL on the right and $Z_{m-1}$ is the characteristic impedance of the TL on the left, without considering multiple reflections for now.

Regards

the easiest way is to use a modern microwave linear analysis program. There is a free one called Qucs that I have seen people use.

If you want to calculate out the solution youself, I would form "T" matrices for each element, cascade the T matrixes together by multiplying on some matrix math computer program, and you will get your answer. You, of course, realize that there will be a different answer at each frequency analyzed.

where:

a1 is the incident wave at the first port.

b1 is the reflected wave at the first port.

a2 is the incident wave at the second port.

b2 is the reflected wave at the second port.

Attachments

• Tmatrix.png
    Tmatrix.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: fobos3

fobos3

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor