Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing radiated emissions in an offline flyback SMPS transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

If I have a offline 30w flyback transformer with a split primary sandwiching a one layer secondary ……then can I reduce radiated emissions by doing the following?...

1…Put on a fourth coil (outside of all others) which is just terminated at one end to the primary DC bus ground…this will shield the other coils and reduce radiated emissions?

2….Ensure that the Switching node end of the primary coil is right at the bottom of the bobbin (the most inner coil on the bobbin), so that the switching node is more shielded by the other coils?

I doubt that the RF is radiated from the transformer. More likely capacitive coupling between the windings transmits the interference which is radiated by the chassis and cables.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with FvM

T

The flux band is no "grounded coil", it's a shorted turn to reduce parasitic magnetic fields.

T

The best way to reduce emissions is to go to a resonant flyback ...

T

I doubt that the RF is radiated from the transformer. More likely capacitive coupling between the windings transmits the interference which is radiated by the chassis and cables.

Agreed, it's most likely a conducted EMC (probably common mode) which is being radiated via long interconnects. So it needs to be treated like a conducted EMC issue. Increase common mode filtering, increase the Y cap, or decrease the source of the EMC (use a soft switching topology, or better layout).

Status
Not open for further replies.