Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing Li-Ion battery voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzeds1491

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i need to reduce voltage of a 4.2v protected battery which is in a circuit. I need the output to be 4.1 or below it .. Also it's not important to do it by not fully charging battery. Any simple solution?

4.2v is maximum charging voltage for LiPo battery and should not be held at that voltage.

Normal battery range is 3.7v to 3.9v so if you truely need 4.1v you will require a buck-boost DC-DC converter.

4.2v is maximum charging voltage for LiPo battery and should not be held at that voltage.

Normal battery range is 3.7v to 3.9v so if you truely need 4.1v you will require a buck-boost DC-DC converter.
Yes exactly, idk why , maybe protection circuit is broken but that battery exxceds 4.2 easily . I need a solution to prevent that from happening.(by not letting it to charge to 4.2 for example )

Hi,

Old-fashioned and simple way could be LM3914 and using one of outputs to trigger whatever circuit or function. I think supply current is 'high' for battery-powered circuits.

Schottky diode with low Vfwd, what is your load current ?

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Hi,

Not so simple parts-count wise, but as precise as might be desirable - Op amp clamp used to drive homebrew LDO. Or maybe op amp + adjustable Vref + MOSFET constant current source circuit used to limit Vout to 4.1V.

Vref (or Vref driving resistive divider) + comparator(s) is more configurable homemade version of LM3914 with much lower Iq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back