Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Redhat Linux 8.0 VS FreeBSD 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

johan_tr2000

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I just want to start learning the UNIX like OS.
I still confuse which one is best ?
Any body can give me a brief review or comparison ?

Thanks a lot

Tr2000 :D

Is there realy noone out there can give me a clue?
Come on..., Pls.

Thanks + Regards,

Tr2000

While there is no clear answer for which one is better to use. For beginners, you may just follow the crowd. Then, redhat maybe the choice.

johan_tr2000 said:
Hi,
I just want to start learning the UNIX like OS.
I still confuse which one is best ?
Any body can give me a brief review or comparison ?

Thanks a lot

Tr2000 :D

Both are good. FreeBSD is very stable while LINUX are more popular.

As it has been said millions of time in every forum of either linux or BSD, the most significant thing in the difference is the license scheme they are using. *BSD uses the BSD license and Linux the GPL.

For server environment I prefer FreeBSD which is much more stable as the netcraft surveys show. If u want to play with the latest things then perhaps u should try Linux. Freebsd has an API that emulates all the linux calls, thus u may run linux binaries on your freensd box [the opposite is not true]

My personal choice is FreeBSD, with the motto "Power to Serve' (just check the freebsd.com homepage)

The upcoming freebsd 5.0 will have very nice features which will give a nice push to this fine OS.

All the distributions of linux on the other hand seem to be very heavy [kde 3 with a tons of extra features]. If you dont know anything about unix, prefer Linux and then swith to Freebsd when you are mature enough. Freebsd is more difficult in administration than linux.

As it has been said in the past 'linux is good because it makes people learn unix, and when they are mature enough they find their own way to the FreeBSD world, a much better world"

Of course I still have some old linux boxes arround, due to the fact that I dont have time to upgrade them ;P . On every new box I install freebsd.

This is my 0.1$ opinion.

Dear bigbrother, I have a question,
You say that, FreeBSD has a kind of Linux emulator, so, all of the linux binaries can be executed under BSD easily. But this technique usually causes a big slow down in the operation of the target program.
For example, Although you can run Xilinx par on linux using wine windows emulator, it will take mach more time than windows to finish a place and route process.
Now, are the famous tools like DC available under BSD? Or BSD is only proper for making a big server?
I think most of electrical engineers are looking for an operating system, which is usefull for doing big projects, with a good speed. I can say that Linux is better than Windows, for doing big projects, because project management can be done better under linux than windows. Is the same rule correct for BSD and Linux?

If you are looking for an EE developpement system, I don't think FreeBSD will do the job. There are some functions in the Linux emulator that are still unimplemented. I've had some problems with some softwares like Synplify/Amplify and Matlab.

FreeBSD has been my choice for my two servers and I wouldn't put anything else on those boxes. I find FreeBSD more stable than Linux. It's just too bad that my EE softwares aren't running smoothly under the Linux emulator.

I would agree with needle by suggesting RedHat for beggining as it is fairly easy to configure with menus etc. But as you use these, you are driven away from understanding the OS. It all depends on what you want to learn about Unix. System administration or just as a user. If the system administration has an appeal to you, I'd start with the menus, read some litterature (on the net, there is plenty) and learn what's going on behind the menus.

Nothing is really complicated, it just takes time.

tcn

Thanks for the information.
I need a more comprehensive information. My aplication is for Small Office- Home Office (SOHO) for implementing LAN, DNS, FTP, WEB, Mail,Telnet services. The total computer population in my LAN is under 20 pcs PC with Windows OS.

Thanks + regrads,

Tr2000

Hi, johan_tr2000
I use RedHat 8.0 for similar application as you need and it works fine. In addition , for easy administration I use WEBMIN , GUARDDOG and several helper application , to configure Firewalls, and the other services.
So, my advice is to try this combination of RedHAt and these applications.
Regards

bigbrother,
what do you think about OpenBSD?
They are proud with something...
5 years without remote exploit...
6 years with only 1 remote exploit...
????

Hi

Does someone have a comparison between Redhat Advanced server
(Not ordinary Redaht) with Suse professional?

For comparision of:

"Redaht Advanced Server 2.1 "

with

"Suse Professional 8.1"

tnx

Red Hat is most popular. I use Red Hat 7.3 with Xwindows gnome and your performance is very good.

Well, If you want ot learn, then get yourself a book on Linux/Unix. Get some distro when you are done with the book. Otherwise, withe the ultra easy to use and install distros of today, you will not be learning much. You'll just be using linux.

johan_tr2000 said:
Thanks for the information.
I need a more comprehensive information. My aplication is for Small Office- Home Office (SOHO) for implementing LAN, DNS, FTP, WEB, Mail,Telnet services. The total computer population in my LAN is under 20 pcs PC with Windows OS.

Thanks + regrads,

Tr2000

I think you can study from this book.
Linux in the Workplace - How to Use Linux in Your Office
h**p://books.dimka.ee/main/No.Starch.Press-Linux.in.the.Workplace.pdf

Mandrake linux is the recomended choice for newbies... the windows - like wizards make it easier for newbies ... not much previous knowledge required to start (the only good thing about windows). Also the mandrake propietary tools make your life even easier, anyway you want a desktop enviroment to work not to become a linux guru. and to give it the final home feeling install wine (the newest version you can get ) so you can run Msoffice and other windows programs. Redhat setups work fine under mandrake (including Rpms). Once you feel comfortable, you can move on to more hairy stuff.

I also tried freebsd, the 4.7 version refused to install on my amd based system, then i tried version 5 a few months later and I found myself with a known mouse bug , so no mouse under KDE ... NICE! ... so i just decided to quit it , since freebsd is not user friendly at all. I must admit that i had a freebsd server that stayed up for 1 1/2 years with no downtime untill the harddrive died. But now i lack the time required to read all the documentation required to setup stuff on freebsd ... so i go for Linux ... easy to fix, and lots of support. :D

Just to report that I managed to execute

CADENCE IC Design 5.32 + CADENCE LDV (redhat version)
on my FreeBSD 4.9 system with linux emulation

Even though the machine is a celeron 400Mhz with 96Mb ram (and 256 MB swap) the application works fine with no problems....

I faced some dificulties in obtaining some linux libraries that CADENCE wanted, but I copied them from a linux system to the linux library directory

/compat/linux/lib/

and run the linux ldconfig to put in the library cache file.

In order for the installation and everything else to go smoothly YOU have to make the following symbolic links in /bin

/usr/bin/basename to /bin/basename
/usr/local/bin/bash to /bin/bash
/usr/bin/tar to /bin/tar
/usr/bin/touch to /bin/touch
/compat/linux/bin/uname to /bin/uname
/usr/bin/zcat to /bin/zcat

If you do this everything goes with no husle.

I run Xvnc (in 8 bit color) in that freebsd box and I connect through vncviewer from my windows workstation.

Regards,

BB

p.s. @mami_hacky
Freebsd is not a linux emulator but it provides API compatibility (much faster than any simulator, similar with the execution speed in linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.