Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifying a sinusoidal signal which has dc offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeratule

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I want to rectify my current sensor output to dc. When I power up the current sensor it outputs 2.5V dc value. When it senses current flown through it, output becomes a 50hz sinusoidal signal which has an offset of 2.5V. I want the sensor output to be at a dc level, so want to rectify that output. When I try to rectify it like doing AC signal using diode bridge, it does half wave rectification below 2.5V level. What I want it is to rectify it as fullwave and above 2.5V dc. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.
rect.JPG
Regards
Erhan

You cant use only diode rectifier with signals lower than +/- 2.5V.
Every diode in series with signal takes 0.7V voltage drop.

I think , there is two ways:

1)- use active precision rectifier op-amp circuit with compensating offset setting
or dc-blocking capacitor. ( see pict. , these circuits needs dual supply )
( google other circuits as "op-amp rectifier" )

2)- if MCU is used , then continous reading of sensor signal and taking max. values as measured signal.

Precision_rectifier.jpg

One more possible solution is , power supply desing so that sensor zero voltage supply level is 2.5V lower than measuring circuit.

What is the sensor you use.

Last edited:
What is the sensor you use.

Thanks kak111,
I use LEM's CAS15n-p current transformer. I have a noisy output from the sensor that's why I needed to have DC output instead of taking max value of the signal. However I'm gonna try it. Using active rectifier seems a little bit complicated for now. I thought there should be an easy way to handle this issue.

Regards,
Erhan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back