Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendations on Good PCB Design Book??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste2006

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Well as the title i suppose,

I have been designing PCBs for many years and have no issues but i am looking to study the field in more depth. I am wondering does anyone know of any good books to start with. Covering things such as power planes, best practise for to minimize EMC, width of tracks for particular currents etc,

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks,

The following text was recommended to me by a friend who is a PCB designer who specializes in high speed layouts/designs:

A cutting-edge guide to the theory and practice of high-speed digital system design

An understanding of high-speed interconnect phenomena is essential for digital designers who must deal with the challenges posed by the ever-increasing operating speeds of today's microprocessors. This book provides a much-needed, practical guide to the state of the art of modern digital system design, combining easily accessible explanations with immensely useful problem-solving strategies. Written by three leading Intel engineers, High-Speed Digital System Design clarifies difficult and often neglected topics involving the effects of high frequencies on digital buses and presents a variety of proven techniques and application examples. Extensive appendices, formulas, modeling techniques as well as hundreds of figures are also provided.
Coverage includes:
* A thorough introduction to the digital aspects of basic transmission line theory
* Crosstalk and nonideal transmission line effects on signal quality and timings
* The impact of packages, vias, and connectors on signal integrity
* The effects of nonideal return current paths, high frequency power delivery, and simultaneous switching noise
* Explanations of how driving circuit characteristics affect the quality of the digital signal
* Digital timing analysis at the system level that incorporates high-speed signaling effects into timing budgets
* Methodologies for designing high-speed buses and handling the very large number of variables that affect interconnect performance
* Radiated emission problems and how to minimize system noise
* The practical aspects of making measurements in high-speed digital systems

I have not yet purchased the text, so if you do obtain a copy let me know your opinion.

BigDog

Its not cheap anyway, Ill have a look and see, Thanks though

Its not cheap anyway, Ill have a look and see, Thanks though

Unfortunately, most highly technical books are not inexpensive and more and more of them are being found in the list of Unobtainium.

I've been designing embedded systems for several decades and left the PCB design to a few trusted experts I've been dealing with for just as many years.

I've only recently became interested in designing my own PCBs, although it still is a secondary interest at this point.

My friend also mentioned both of Johnson's texts:

However, he suggested these texts were more centered around the circuit design rather that PCB design.

He keeps a copy of text I previous recommended on his desk, which I find to be a good indicator of frequency of reference. I spent about twenty minutes flipping through the text, it appeared quite comprehensive and relevant to the topic in question.

Another associate recommended the following texts concerning EMI/EMC and PCB design in a recent email:

A few more expensive texts to consider. :roll:

BigDog

Ok thanks for the help anyway, definitely worth looking into further,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back