Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend heat sinks for 2SC1969 BJT

Status
Not open for further replies.

musclemania05

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello I wondering if I could get some recommended heats to use for a rather older BJT which is the 2SC1969 see attached data sheet. My circuit will be dissipating 10 watts of RF power. I guessing I will need about a heat sink of 20 watts. View attachment 2sc1969.pdf

Max junction temperature = 150*C, use 120 for safety. Tambient = 40 *C, so you have to dissipate 10 Watts across a temperature of 110*C. The thermal resistance of the junction to case is 6.5*C/W, So the case of the transistor will be at 65*C less then the max, i.e. 120- 65 = 55*C. So the heatsink will have to dissipate 10W with a temperature drop of 55-40 = 15*C. So you need a heat sink with a thermal resistance of 15/10 = 1.5 *C/W.
Note I have based this on an efficiency of 50% (20W in, 10W out), it should be higher, so the heat sink could be a bit smaller.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.