Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend a RF simulator for PCB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I would like some recommendation from users on an econimical RF simulator for PCB layout.

I have a requirement to simulate / optimise / match a F or SMA connector input to the input of MOPLL device for satellite 900-2200MHz but I have not ever done this before.

The mechanical constraints will mean a distance from centre pin of connector to input pad of MOPLL could be 10mm or could be as much as 20mm distance.

Is there anyway of linking in/out of the PCB layout software so that I can experiment with trace width, pad sizes, fills, layer stackup etc to try and acheive a nice linear performance for response and return loss etc?

The simulator would need to be capable of showing expected results but be simple enough for a newbie like me to setup and use, because this will probably be the only time I will use it.

There is no simulator or model available for the MOPLL or connector, so i guess I need to assume ideal loads and linearity for the source & termination.

Any advice would help

Thanks

:F

Re: Simulation

if u need simple rf simulator u can use MWO

wish this help

khouly

Frosty

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I think if you require RF result in
1. S-parameter ---> Advance Design System(ADS) and Microwave office (cheaper)
2. EM Wave pattern + S-parameter ---> 3D simulator: Ansoft HFSS and CST

It seem like you are looking for the SMA cox to microstrip transition then 3D simulator is needed.

Hope this answer part of your question.

Reactions: eng.asi

Frosty

eng.asi

Thanks all

Those tools I already know about them.

It was more in my mind to have something more easy to use for me. I don't have the time to invest in the training and tools for a 1 off project.

To be able to move in / out of the PCB, what / if and then make changes it has to be easier.

Anyone else have any ideas.

:F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back