Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reason of degaradation in timing violations after Clock tree synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

riti

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my block timing is looking fine till placement, after clock tree synthesis i am seeing huge degradation in setup timing. What could be the reason for that ?

when i have checked the placement of the flops among which timing is violated, it get changed compare to placement step.

Does tool fix DRC violations also (layout related) at CTS step? Or while fixing max trans , max cap violation at CTS step it degrades the timing. But again if tool tries to fix the max trans, max cap it should give improvement in setup timing.

what would be possible reason for degradation in timing at cts stage?

Possible reasons:
1) very high utilization (not enough empty space for CTS cells)
2) usually, the hold fixing starts at CTS stage - maybe you have too tight hold constraints (interclock holds?)

riti

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Possible reasons:
1) very high utilization (not enough empty space for CTS cells)
2) usually, the hold fixing starts at CTS stage - maybe you have too tight hold constraints (interclock holds?)
CTS do DRC(DRC related to layout, eg: min width, min spacing violations) fixing also ?

CTS do DRC(DRC related to layout, eg: min width, min spacing violations) fixing also ?

It does for clock nets, only. But, I do not think it is the reason of degradation. Check the cell density map (local overutilization?)

riti

It does for clock nets, only. But, I do not think it is the reason of degradation. Check the cell density map (local overutilization?)
Utilization is only 60%. But yes, i have hot spots in some areas.
While fixing the max trans & Max cap violations for clock cells while building the clock tree, would be the reason ?

It is the possible reason, if the constraints are too tight.

riti

Utilization is only 60%. But yes, i have hot spots in some areas.
While fixing the max trans & Max cap violations for clock cells while building the clock tree, would be the reason ?
depending on the technology, 60% is barely routable.

riti

i have worked on GPU blocks, where we have routed till 84% also.
still, try 50%. because the density is so low, depending on the design, localized hotspots become less likely. if it solves your problem, then you can try to increase density again and apply local fixes.

riti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back