Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reason for considering junction temperature in derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveenhunchi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was performing a derating analysis on a diode and as per MIL STD 975, the parameters to be considered are PIV, surge current, forward current and Junction Temperature.

The max junction temperature in MIL STD 975 is around 125 deg C for all kinds of diodes. Does that mean for any diode chosen , i need to maintain a junction temperature below 125 deg C ( even if the Tj max specified in the datasheet be 150 deg C).

A more serious concern was on why are we limiting the junction temperature to 125 deg C, the thermal properties of the junction material are not going to degrade under any condition as long as it is operating below Tj max, then why limit it to 125 deg C ?

MIL standards are kind of a "living history of ways people
have failed" and not all of them are realistic or relevant
to a particular item. They are more of an agreed upon
"can't fail" that eliminates the need to dig deeper.

If you want to take it further then it's on you to supply
the proof, over and over, to every PhD joker from TASC
that needs a few billable hours.

Not that I've been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.