Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Real-time tracing with JTAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_penetrator

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hallo fellow members...

i have question on JTAG usage.

i recall that JTAG used to add wait states in order to perform the scan. While one of their docs stated that this was inevitable, i remember running code on ARM from SSRAM (external static RAM). (this was done because we ought to disable the cache/scratchpad RAM to perform some current measurements).

Are the above true, or in case i was running code from the cache i would get no additional wait states.

So how do i monitor real-time transactions (with expected cycle accuracy) with JTAG. Then, i would have to the monitoring in harder way...

PS: JTAG can hold nWAIT HIGH so wait states are inserted.

thank you!

the_penetrator©

I am not sure if that would be possible with JTAG alone. Most ARMs have a Embedded Trace Macrocell, allowing you to do realtime traces, but it needs both a trace unit (like RealViewTrace), and a trace port on the board.

Let me know how you get on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back