Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

real simple question: what is light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee171

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
so here is the story. my friend asked me what is light. i took a long time telling a story of light as particle and wave with photoelectric effect and compton scattering experiences. then a bit into maxwell and magnetic field and e-field that is perpendicular to each other... blah blah off my head. then my friend asked me, so what is e-field and b-field; that is not too hard to explain or describe of an example a point charge and small domain... but then my friend asked so how does b-field and e-field perpendicular creates light. does that mean there is electron in there somewhere to create the e-field. what is inside light that create b-field and e-field? let's say we see from the sun are created from hydron bombardment; are b-field and e-field are created from there hence light... my friend got me. i don't know what to say. hahaha i guess i don't know enough to explain.

can anyone help me explain in plain english? thanks.

heheh that url doesn't really help.

of comparatively little physical weight or density; "a light load"; "magnesium is a light metal--having a specific gravity of 1.74 at 20 degrees C"

hehe

Hye....
Let us put it in this way to your friend.....
ITS SOMETHING WHICH ENLIGHTENS (??) SOMETHING.....

could ypu relate it scientifically...

hey hey....

sankudey

Light is particle and wave in one... Simple as that. If he asks more, tell him to consult his textbook..

jc_bock said:
Light is particle and wave in one... Simple as that. If he asks more, tell him to consult his textbook..

We were told that light is flow of photons.

But, are you sure, that what you can say is truth, concerns things you can measure and define only by assumptions ?

well light is a wave and a particle at the same time
u can study one aspect of the light at a time as u can see one face of the coin at a time.
does this explains ur querry???

I did not mean that .

I ment that whatever we are told is just theory which is regarded as closest to truth explanation temporary till new theory arrive, and is based on assumption which are not proved at all.

In my understanding, strict ("tell him to consult his textbook") belief to particular thing makes us hostages of those who created theories even if there is no better way to explain universe.

Of course that is my view and it could be incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.