Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

real problem in sampling audio signal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

W_Heisenberg

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all

when doing the sampling for the audio, do we really care about the sampling rate?

I mean as long as we satsify the nyquist conditoin, we will always get back the original audio?

The process is done on a PC, I tired several times, it seems this is true.

If so, does this mean the reconstruction filter I have build is really flexible?

You can get intelligible speech at 8k sampling rate.
And I believe I've seen that rate for music streamed over the internet (such as Youtube).

However it is not hi-fidelity. It may resemble a cheap AM radio. An audiophile will tell you a great deal is lost, as far as sonic quality.

That is why the music industry chose a 44.1k sampling rate. Studios use even higher rates.

I once tried recording music into the computer at a 22k sample rate. The playback sounded like the original FM broadcast to my ears (note: to my ears).

There are claims that our listening experience is enhanced when we are exposed to the ultrasonic frequencies in the music, even though tests show we do not 'hear' them.

- - - Updated - - -

--------

As for mp3's I don't know how they do it. They compress the data unbelievably, yet retain excellent sound quality.
The 160 kbps (or 128k) is good enough to get widespread acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back