Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading Zener datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiwari.sachin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a voltage regulator using zener ofcourse

Specs as follows

Input range: 5.5V to 10V
Output: 3 to 3.5 is fine
Output current needed: 5 to 20-25mA

I am trying to get the following data out of datasheet

Vz = 3.1 to 3.5V (I got that)
Max Power = 250mW @ 25 deg cel and less ( I got that)

1. I would be operating at say 50 deg max and hence need to know deteriorated power (Pdmax - deltaT). Dinot find the power deteoration per degree rise

2. How much is knee current

3. How much is max reverse current Iz max

The datasheet I am referring given in the link below

**broken link removed**

I would be using BZX84-C3V3 (5% variation part)

hi!
when Input voltage = 5.5v,output voltage = 3.5v, output current = 25mA, Iz=5mA
you need a resistance about 66 ohm.
when Input voltage = 10v, Izmax = 100mA. Pdmax = 350mW
thermal resistance from junction to solder point is 330K/W ,temperature rising is 0.35*330 = 115.5K
50deg+115.k is over the junction temperature.
so I think the solution is fault.

It's no good idea to implement the regulator with a zener diode only. The series resistor must be chosen for minimal input voltage and will dissipate a lot of power at maximum input voltage. The zener diode power rating would be most likely exceeded. You better use a zener diode/transistor combination.

The datasheet shows that a 5.6V zener diode holds almost the same voltage when its temperature changes but a zener with a lower voltage has its voltage drop when it heats and a zener with a higher voltage has its voltage increase when it heats. Your zener will get extremely hot.
The datasheet shows that a zener diode has a resistance that ruins its voltage regulation when its external resistor has a low value. It should be fed from a constant current source like in a voltage regulator IC.

Well... I now have a input from adapter (say 7.5V)

I am, for time being not considering battery change :) hence adapter voltage can be considered @ 7.5V

and when battery used (2 cell in series): Can vary from about 5.5 (lower cuttoff- Not sure about this, hence using this as reference as of now) to 8.4 (higher cutoff)

With these two voltages possible, I want have a small circuit that can go to 3.3V that will run IO pin (10mA max I guess)

This is where I am trying to use this circuit.

Any other reliable options, do suggest... even if its beyond zener

A 7.5V adapter produces 7.5V ONLY when it has a voltage regulator circuit in it or it has its rated load current. It might be 14V if the load current is low.
We are wondering why you don't use a cool voltage regulator IC instead of a zener diode that wastes power by getting hot.

You talked about a 2-cells battery that is 8.4V maximum that must be a Lithium rechargeable battery. Its voltage drops to about 6.4V when its load should be disconnected or it will be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.