Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading values from Energy IC Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradigm

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All Expert,

I am using a Arduino Uno board to capture some data of the energy IC chip connected using SPI. Following is the link to the datasheet of the ICs https://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS5464_F3.pdf

I had written the program and tested on the chip but it is not showing any different when I turn on my hair dryer which is connected to the energy IC. It shows the max value of 0xFFFFFF however, the max value on the datasheet is
7FFFFF. I suspect I didnt access the IC at all or didnt even communicate with the IC. Below is my code

Code:
#include <SPI.h>

int CS=9;
byte Data, Data1, Data2;
int MSB, LSB;
long Power;

void setup() {
  pinMode(CS, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  SPI.setBitOrder(MSBFIRST);
  SPI.begin();
}

void CS5464_init() {
  digitalWrite(CS, LOW);
  //Initalise SYNC0 and SYNC1 with CS5464
  SPI.transfer(0xFF);
  SPI.transfer(0xFF);
  SPI.transfer(0xFF);
  SPI.transfer(0xFE);
  digitalWrite(CS,HIGH);
  delay(10);
  //Set to continous Conversion Mode
  digitalWrite(CS, LOW);
  SPI.transfer(0xE8);
  SPI.transfer(0xFF);
  SPI.transfer(0xFF);
  SPI.transfer(0xFE);
  digitalWrite(CS, HIGH);
  delay(10);  
}

void loop()
{
  CS5464_init();

while(1) {
    Data = Data1 = Data2 = 0;

digitalWrite(CS, LOW);
    SPI.transfer(0x08); //Read register 4 
    Data2 = SPI.transfer(0xFF); // SYNC1
    Data1 = SPI.transfer(0xFF); // SYNC1
    Data = SPI.transfer(0xFE); // SYNC0
    digitalWrite(CS, HIGH);

MSB = 0x00FF & Data2;
    LSB = Data1 << 8;
    LSB = LSB | Data;
    Power = MSB << 16;
    Power = Power | LSB;

Serial.print("Power of line =");
    Serial.print(Power, DEC);
    Serial.println('W');
    delay(1000);
  }
}

Can any expert here help me with my problem. Thanks a lot for your help :p

Hi Internetuser2k12,

The hardware is working properly as I got it from some vendor that do energy IC chip. I do not have the circuit diagram. But the IC breakout board do have a Vin+ and Vin-, Vout+ and Vout- to be connected to my AC supply and output of my Load. Then it have a breakout of SDO, SDI, CS and SCLK which I connect to my Arduino Uno like this (CS to pin10 SS, SDO to pin 12 MISO, SDI to pin 11 MOSI, SCLK to pin 13 SCK). Does that help? Thanks a lot for your help.

power circuit.jpg

Hi Internetuser2k12,

I sort of trace the PCB breakout board for my IC and the hardware looks something like the one attached. Pls advise. Thanks alot

Your connections are right. post your code. Are you sure that you are enabling CS/SS?

Hi Internetuser2k12, my code is on the first post. I didnt change my code after that. Still cannot get my IC to work. I connect the CS to pin 9 now. I didnt use pin 10 SS anymore as i will have more IC connected together. Sorry about the confusion. But still cannot get my code working.

Status
Not open for further replies.