Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading PIC Data via COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasamiko

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need a simple circuit with VB code that can read a PIC data (numeric) like 16 digit serial numbers encoded in PIC (PIC12C508/509) via COM1 or COM2
Any idea or link will be appreciated

TIA

I'm not pretty sure what you are asking. Are you talking about the ID locations in the PIC12C508/509?

Cheers,

Hi, kasamiko,

Portmon is an useful tool which will help you to monitor the data flowing through com ports.

**broken link removed**

Good Luck.

Michael Zhang

==============================
Your Ideal Prototyping PCB service:
**broken link removed**
==============================

ok guys, this is what I want to do..

I will program a pic (508/509) with numbers like 1234567890, then I will attached it on one of my COM port and read the number stored in PIC with VB..

Some sort of dongle..

kasamiko said:

I will program a pic (508/509) with numbers like 1234567890, then I will attached it on one of my COM port and read the number stored in PIC with VB..

Some sort of dongle..

Maybe a eeprom would be a better choice for what you want to do, what you are talking about is realy a pic programmer.

zanor said:
kasamiko said:

Some sort of dongle..

Maybe a eeprom would be a better choice for what you want to do, what you are talking about is realy a pic programmer.
NO not a programmer..something like this..

I want to make a program with some sort of software protection, I will used PIC12C508/509 to store the serial number and plug it on my COM Port, then my VB program will try to read the serial number on the PIC plugged at the COM Port..
The Program will not run if it cant find the programmed PIC on the COM Port..

TIA

kasamiko said:
zanor said:
kasamiko said:

Some sort of dongle..

NO not a programmer..something like this..

I want to make a program with some sort of software protection, I will used PIC12C508/509 to store the serial number and plug it on my COM Port, then my VB program will try to read the serial number on the PIC plugged at the COM Port..
The Program will not run if it cant find the programmed PIC on the COM Port..

TIA

Okey, now I understand what you mean. Some sort of a "hardware serial key". This is not hard to do if PIC12C508/509 support hardware USART. I'm too tired to look up the datasheet now, just got home from working night.

Search for "mscomm" here at edaboard and I think you will find what you are looking for.

The '508 part doesn't have a hw serial port, but TX is easy to do by bit banging. You could just have the PIC output the data constantly.
Regards,

You may want to try **broken link removed**, it's free if you can stay below 2k program size.
This compiler comes with built in support for software uart.
Just tried it yesterday my self on a 16f819 sending adc result to my pc, and it was working like a charm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.