Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reading external high voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

doec

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I need help to read two external voltage (about 150V DC) and their difference (ranging from 1 to 5V) from inside an IC (0.35u CMOS process).
In order to not to damage internal circuitry, I would like to make an indirect reading. Do you have some advice?
Thank you,
doec

I guess the obvious answer would be to use a voltage divider. When you say 'indirect' do you mean you want an external ADC? I'm not sure what you're looking for. What difference does the process matter?

I agree on voltage divider. Simply way is a divider with two resistors. However, the high frequency characteristic will not be good.

I had already taken into account the voltage divider.
I wanted to see if any solutions with zener diodes or other proposals could work well for me.
The process has been specified only to emphasize that I can't go directly inside the circuit with the high voltage.
Thank you for your response,
doec

what about a step down transformer which indeed provide isolation and stepdown

what about a step down transformer which indeed provide isolation and stepdown

He is asking to read DC volts, and as I know transformers do not work on DC. If I am wrong please alert me.

Reactions: doec

doec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.