Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reading data from parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMWE

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!

i wanna read data from parallel port using matlab.

which voltage/current supplies should i give in order to change the input from 0 into 1?

thank you.

Look for Mathwork forum....lot of cool stuffs like this are posted there.

plese clear your question, any schematics, protocol data etc
i have no clue for answer question
regards

The PC's parallel port electrical characteristics are given in IEEE Std 1284-2000.

It says this about a Level 1 device:

8.3.2.2 Receiver requirements
a) Receivers shall operate at nominal 5 V TTL levels.
b) The receiver high-level input threshold shall not exceed 2.0 V.
c) The receiver low-level input threshold shall be at least 0.8 V.
d) The receiver high-level input sink current shall not exceed 0.32 mA at 2.0 V.
e) The receiver low-level input source current shall not exceed 12 mA at 0.8 V.
f) Pull-up resistors, if present, shall be not less than 470 Ω ± 5% for control and status signals, and not less than 1000 Ω ± 5% for data signals. It is recommended that these minimum values be used. Current supplied by pull-up resistors, if present, shall be included in the input current limits, list items d) and e).
g) Circuit and stray capacitance shall not exceed 50 pF of uncompensated capacitance. Compensation for larger capacitance may be supplied by a pull-up resistor, provided that it meets the requirements of list item f).
h) The maximum rise or fall time is as expected for a 2 m cable, 120 ns as measured between the 0.8 V and 2.0 V levels.
i) The receiver should be able to withstand peak input voltage transients between -2.0 V and 7.0 V without damage or improper operation.

and this about a Level 2 device:

8.3.3.2 Receiver requirements [level 2 device]
a) The receiver shall withstand peak input voltage transients between -2.0 V and 7.0 V without damage or improper operation.
b) The receiver high-level input threshold shall not exceed 2.0 V.
c) The receiver low-level input threshold shall be at least 0.8 V.
d) The receiver shall provide at least 0.2 V input hysteresis. Increasing this hysteresis (up to a maximum of 1.2 V) will improve noise immunity.
e) The receiver high-level input sink current shall not exceed 20 µA at 2.0 V.
f) The receiver low-level input source current shall not exceed 20 µA at 0.8 V.
g) Circuit and stray capacitance shall not exceed 50 pF.

You can download the full standard here:

Status
Not open for further replies.